Gym Talk with Killa Candise

Fun & Efficient Workouts, Recommendations on NEW
Activities & Events in the DMV Area, The Best & Worst Equipment, Exercises, The Latest Scientific Research, Weight Loss Tips, Muscle Building Tips, and much much more! You know “Gym Talk” ENJOY!!!

Friday, December 30, 2011

How to Get a Good Workout at Home!

Recently my son started Pre Kindergarten and I swear this kid gets twice the homework I did at that age. Between his education, my education & this 10-18hour workday I’ve had to start working out at home. It has been a challenge but everyday I’m figuring out new ways to get in a good workout. When I was doing 2-3 fitness classes daily I couldn’t understand how my clients could say that they couldn’t make time for a 1hour routine but now I GET IT!!!! As a Personal Trainer who LOVES LOVES LOVES to exercise I couldn’t understand how my clients could claim that they couldn’t motivate enough at home to pop in their Beach Body Fitness Video or log in to www.KillaCandiseWorkouts.com & get their online personal training routine but now I GET IT!!!!



I’ve heard all of the excuses: I’m too distracted, my kids interfere, I’m too tired, not enough time, not enough space, I’m just not motivated! So through the holidays like most of America I went through a faze where I didn’t work out. Without the obligation of instructing classes, new business ventures & my new puppy it made it VERY easy to slack off! That 5 days felt like FOREVER but since then I’ve figured out how to keep myself motivated & get a good workout in despite all the distractions of HOME!

1. Make Your Health a Priority: It is easy to think about ALL that you have to do with the kids, your spouse, the house, business and the first thing to get lost in the shuffle is your health. Think it about it this way if you keep focusing on everything else but your body your body will take matters into its own hands. Now how are you going to take the kids to soccer practice if you can’t get out the bed. Treat your body like the temple it is and you’ll be able to get A LOT more done.

2. Accountability: It’s easier to stay focused when you have someone to answer too. So grab a family member, neighbor, or friend to partner up with. Even if you guys can’t work out at the same times call each other regularly to check on each other’s progress, tell your social networks of your goals so they can check up on your progress, join fitness sites like our My Active Profile so that you can log in your workouts and have a trainer actually evaluate your efforts.

3. Timing: Working out first thing in the morning is always best if you can. Not only do you burn more fat first thing in the morning but you are more energized & it sets the tone for your day. Studies show that people who exercise in the morning tend to make healthier dietary choices throughout the day. It may be difficult to start because it is difficult to get out of the bed BUT once it becomes a habit you’ll be fine. Another benefit is that if you have a family a lot of times if you exercise early the rest of the family is sleep.

4. Plan for distractions: First things first don’t let the distractions frustrate you. Many of us will quit after they get interrupted or if the kids are in the way but all you have to do is plan. I know my son & my dog are going to want to run the stairs with me so I put my dog in the crate until I finish my run then let him out. I play games with my son so he doesn’t run the stairs but when I get to the top I have to catch him before he gets to the room. It encourages me to sprint, keeps him entertained & I’m still working out. Instead of shutting the kids out of your workout it’s a great idea to make it a family effort. Try using the Wii or Xbox, going for family bike rides, and walks.




5. Limited Time: If you don’t have a full hour to workout don’t worry… something is better than nothing. DO WHAT YOU CAN!!! If all you have is 10 minutes then squeeze in 10 minutes. If you have limited time try to choose a workout using High Intensity Interval Training which means immediately following a strength exercise such as push ups do mountain climbers or plank jacks. The goal here is to keep your heart rate up throughout the entire workout so that you gain strength & cardiovascular benefits. You’ll burn more in limited time.

If you find time later to squeeze in another 10minute GREAT! When you break your routine into increments multiple times a day you burn more EPOC. EPOC is Excess post exercise oxygen consumption which means you burn more calories after your routine. Have you ever noticed after your workout your heart rate increases and you have to catch your breath? That’s EPOC your body works hard after your workout to get you back to normal. If you need a phenomenal 10-15minute workout visit www.TotalWellnessDC.com.

6. Limited Space: Who says you need a lot of equipment to workout? How much space do you really need if all you use is your body? Some of the most efficient exercises use your own body weight. Push Ups, Bicycle Crunches, Squats, Pilates, Yoga, Burpees, Jumping Jacks, etc all use your body weight as resistance. Ask Killa Candise to create you a No Equipment Workout.

7. Stay Focused: The most important aspect of working out at home is staying FOCUSED!!!! You have to be Determined. You have to Self-Motivate! Find a picture of you in your skinny jeans and put it on the wall or the fitness model that you see in the magazine, place motivational quotes all over the house to help keep you encouraged. If you need to scare yourself straight then put your doctors notes up or someone close to you that is suffering due to unhealthy behaviors. If you fall off one day don’t worry about it just hop back on the horse DON’T QUIT!!!



NO ONE SAID IT WILL BE EASY BUT IT CAN BE DONE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment